Thursday, January 28, 2010

Here and Later

A post-apocalypse. Or is it? Part of a larger play in the works.

Here and Later

Man: Hello?
Other: Welcome. (Other is seated on a pile of rubble looking rather glum)

Man: (Relief floods his body at the voice and he moves toward Other.) Phew! I thought for sure I was all alone.

Other: We are all alone.

Man: Well you are here. Now don’t deny yourself. That gets into some very complicated epistemology that we don’t have time for.

Other: (Glancing around at the ruins) Have an important date to get to?

Man: Now don’t take my words for pointed insult, you’ve been very good company so far. Better than the boulders I had to chat with at breakfast.

Other: There is no food left.

Man: Why is everything a crisis with you? The sun is shining and the last barely alive birds are singing and all you can think about is the next problem. Stick to the present man. It’s the only way to keep happy.

Other: (Looks hard at Man) Oh is that how we came to this place? Sticking to the present? No need to fear the consequences. Tomorrow will worry about itself. That worked well for our city. I’m sure you will survive with that philosophy ringing about in your head.

Man: Now listen here. Insults aren’t needed. I’m the only friend you’ve got. (Pause) Let’s play a game. You know marbles?

Other: Why have you lost yours?

Man: (Fake smile) Ha ha. Funny. I meant the tossing game. You make a circle and then try to knock the other’s marbles from it.

Other: I’m afraid all this debris is not quite round.

Man: Round? Who said anything about them having to be round?

Other: Are you sure you’re talking about marbles?

Man: Are you still convinced you are all alone? Talking to yourself perhaps?

Other: Why would I do that? I have nothing to tell myself.

Man: (Incredulous) You’ve actually considered that possibility? Good grief. Good thing I’m here or you wouldn’t survive the apocalypse.

Other: Suppose we haven’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment